You are here
Planning Your Visit
Due to the large number of visitors to Hanauma Bay, the City and County of Honolulu regulates all organized groups to the Bay. Those groups visiting Hanauma Bay for an educational program and experience can request accommodation through the Hanauma Bay Education Program.
Educational Program Requests entitle groups to guaranteed parking, immediate entrance to the Bay, a private showing of the mandatory Hanauma Bay educational video, and an educational orientation. The staff at the Hanauma Bay Education Program coordinates all group visits.
Groups interested in undertaking an educational program should call the Education Program at (808) 397-5840 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We request at least two weeks notice, although special arrangements can sometimes be made. Please note that groups who do not request an educational permit may be turned away.
- Requested date and time (9:00am, 11:00 am, 1:00pm, or 2:30pm)
- Contact person with phone number, fax number, e-mail and mailing address
- Number in party (45 maximum)
- Method of transportation (private cars or buses)
- Age range of students
- Number of chaperones
- Special requests: Please let us know in advance if there is a particular learning interest or learning goal that we can assist your class with.
What to expect
- Permits include a 30-45 minute presentation including the required 9 minute educational video.
- Please bring a copy of your approved permit and be prepared to show it to a parking attendant and park staff; entrance is permitted even if the parking lot is full.
- Buses cannot park on site and are allowed 15 minutes to drop off and pick up only.
- Meet the education staff at the entrance to the visitors center at the time of your appointment.
- The admission fee to enter Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve is $7.50 for non-residents 13 years of age or older. This fee is waived for local residents with a valid ID. The cashiers take cash, visa and mastercard. Please have the fee for the entire group ready to pay at one time. Admission fees are only accepted on site by the City and County of Honolulu cashiers.
- Snorkel gear is NOT PROVIDED but can be rented for an additional fee on the beach.
- There is limited shade and cover in the park. Please bring sun protection and rain gear