You are here
Volunteer Opportunities & Benefits
- Interpretive Guide: Interpretive Guides work 4 hour shifts at least once per week and rotate between the three volunteer stations. The shifts include 2 hours at the beach desk, 1 hour in the Visitor's Center, and 1 hour in the Theater. Volunteers staffing these areas make an effort to reach each visitor to insure that they are informed of the mandatory orientation video and proper reef etiquette, park rules and regulations, and also answer general questions about the park and marine life identification.
- E Mālama Hanauma Youth Steward: Youth Steward Volunteers are high school students who learn how to become stewards of HanaumaBay by taking ownership of areas of the park. Youth Stewards may also help Interpretive Guides at the volunteer stations. Learn more
- Ho‘okipa Cart Helper: These volunteers are stationed near the entrance to the Visitor's Center where visitors line-up to the admission ticket windows. They answer questions visitors may have about the park and admission procedures and introduce them to the environment they will be exploring with the aid of specimens, books,forother education materials.
- School Program Docent: School Program Docents aid the Education Staff when school groups or other permitted groups visit the Bay. A docent may help with natural history tours, 30 minute group orientations, and any other educational activities that the Education Staff run.
- Gardener: Gardener Volunteers assist the grounds keeping staff with upkeep of park plantings and gardens and may also help E Mālama Hanauma Youth Stewards with their outdoor projects.
- Free training sessions that include a geology hike, marine life identification, and introduction to marine mammals and sea turtle, a detailed history of the park and management, and much more!
- Monthly volunteer appreciation and enrichment events such as guided snorkels, field trips, social and educational activities.
- Letters of Recommendation (after 1 year of service)
- Quarterly volunteer newsletter
- Free membership with the Friends of Hanauma Bay
- Annual Volunteer Appreciation Banquet
|Click here to apply to become a volunteer at Hanauma Bay!|